My gut reaction to 2014 is “what a shitty year” and I know I’m not alone in that sentiment. For some reason, I think that perception is what is making me want to briefly recap the year … possibly to change my mind about it? To be a little more “glass half full?” Or to dwell in negativity like the malcontent curdmudgeon I am?
Anyway, getting on with it.
My favorite 3 things from 2014!
1. Hanging out with some of my favorite people in the world (Lake Effect Half Marathon and New Jersey Half Marathon, as well as many other adventures). Laura, Hollie, Brit – you guys are amazing and I’m so happy my year had so much of you in it. ❤
2. Running in Aruba! And everything else in Aruba. Because Aruba.
3. Getting through a kickass training cycle with a really good friend and having a blast doing it. I have honestly never had as much fun training for a marathon as I did training for Lehigh and Megan is at least 93% responsible for that fact.
The shittiest 3 things from 2014!
1. The death of someone close. I don’t like to get into real personal stuff so I’ll just say I lost someone who was like a sister to me who passed away way too fucking young from cancer. Diagnosis to death was only 6 months and those were some of the worst months of my life.
2. Overwhelming stress at work and not dealing with it gracefully. I’ve had a hard time keeping my cool in professional settings this year and while part of me wants to be all IDGAF about it, another part of me knows that it’s a sign that my job is slowly cracking me. I need to learn better strategies for dealing with the stress because at the heart of it, I enjoy what I do and the people I work with. I totally failed at this this year.
3. My only marathon attempt, and marathon failure, of the year. This sounds somewhat trivial with respect to #1 and #2, but to put so much time and thought and work towards one single event, and to then have it go horribly wrong? It’s pretty devastating.
Running in 2014: the takeaways!
– I cracked 1500 miles for the year! This is the highest yearly mileage I’ve ever run.
– I PR’d in the 5k, twice!
– I ran more consistently than I ever have before. This kind of goes hand in hand with the first bullet, but given my history of skipping long runs … and base runs … and speed work … well, let’s just say I’m proud of the progress I made.
– I went under 1:40 in the half 3 times. Arbitrary standard? Sure. But for now it makes me happy.
Running in 2014: the puzzles!
– I remain frustrated by the fact that I haven’t made any meaningful progress since 2012. My half PR from that year still stands. I haven’t come anywhere close to the marathon time I think I am capable of. I honestly have no real idea why more miles and adding speedwork have not translated for me.
– I’m not sure why my form is so wonky or what to do to fix it. Or if I even should? I seem to get injured a lot. I tend to think poor form is to blame. Unsure where to start.
– I can’t stick to any type of strength training plan. I actually really like strength training! Why the hell am I unable to keep it up?
I guess now that I’m done thinking about this (and trust me, there was plenty more that didn’t make it into this actual post – I’m really trying my hardest to not bore anyone to death), I stand by my original assertion that 2014 was pretty shitty. I am, however, grateful for the positives and am looking forward to all that 2015 already has in store.
Happy New Year, friends!